Sunday, February 22, 2009

Time warp...

If you'll forgive me just one more brief Hawaii-related post--

We had a fairly short list of "must do's" for the trip--Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center were the top two on the list--but you know I just couldn't go to Hawaii without taking care of one family history related task.

In a previous blog, I wrote a little about my darling grandmother, Dardy, and shared a wonderful picture of her dancing the hula (complete with grass skirt and lei) on a deserted Hawaiian beach sometime around 1930. I neglected to mention that I also have a shot of my mother at about age 3 in much the same outfit, although clad just a tad more scantily (no top). We just could NOT resist trying to replicate those photos for the next two generations! (Oh, and thankfully, neither Dardy nor Mother wore coconut bras although those were readily available in all the shops!)

SO, without further ado, here are FOUR generations of Shutt women doing our best to hula amid the palm trees of Oahu...Mary Robbins Shutt, Margaret Osburn Shutt, Linda Susan Hardy VerHoef and Megan Trijntje VerHoef. (A special thanks to Annike for the clever photoshopping to convert our 2009 shots into sepia tones! Oh, and I should tell you the one of me is not for the faint of heart--you might wanna skip down to Megan in a hurry...;-)

By the way, we did not bring the grass skirt home and I'm SO sorry I didn't...Tuesday is Mardi Gras at the archives and I would have LOVED to wear it in the parade (and you thought librarians were boring--wait'll you see the pictures of THAT...)

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Love it!! And you look great, so stop that! I think it's so cool we were able to get those shots!

Kimberly said...

Again, just be careful how you get the beads in the parade! Don't want you doing anything I wouldn't do!

Linda said...

Great pictures, what a legacy! And actually you look "hot!"

Bryan & Jacey said...

Very cool....

kkell99 said...

aunt susie, you look WONDERFUL!!! i love that you guys did this!!! VERY COOL! love you- kristen