Friday, January 23, 2009

Mahalo...

Mahalo is the Hawaiian word for thank you. And I am incredibly thankful today to be sitting in my ocean front room, watching the palm trees sway in the breeze and the waves roll onto the shore while the sun rises on yet another glorious picture-postcard perfect day.

How and why I got here is the topic of a future post, but part of the "why" lies in the fact that yesterday should have been my thirty-second wedding anniversary and today makes exactly seven years and three hours since I lost my sweetheart, lover, and best friend. Both days are emotional minefields and I never, ever, try to go to work or do anything else that requires me to behave sensibly or maintain any sense of normalcy.

SO. Yesterday I parked my fat fanny on a North Shore, Oahu beach with Jimmy Buffett's latest book in one hand and a virgin pina colada in the other. Today I will return to the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie and finish up what I didn't have time for last night--perhaps take a hula lesson or get a Fijian tattoo. Anything's possible.

And tomorrow I'll be able to face the world again which, now that I think of it, shouldn't be too hard when it looks like the picture at the top of this page...

5 comments:

Crewton said...

K, first, you are allowed alcohol in Hawaii, didn't you know that? second, I'm really trying not to hate you, right now. But, you deserve every bit of that beautiful island! Aloha!

Linda said...

Such tender thoughts and feelings--and what a great place to be thinking and feeling. Keep on keeping on.

heidistitches said...

Love you. Most of the time, life is great. Once in awhile it really sucks! I always know how long Randy's been gone because Hunter was 4 months old when we made the trip to GA. As I have done many times since mom and dad passed, you probably had that moment when you said, "Randy, you are suppose to be here!" I'm glad you and the girls made it (safely) to Hawaii and had a great time.

Nikki said...

It really was the best place to be on such a sucky day. If it has to suck, let it suck in Hawaii...

Kimberly said...

I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of an Hawaii trip than you Mom. You have experienced too much, given too much to not have an experience like that. I only hope Chile was better! Ha!